Post-Master’s Certificate in Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP)
The Post-Master’s Certificate consists of specialty courses in advanced practice nursing (20 graduate credit hours). This certificate program will prepare nurses holding master’s degrees in nursing to enter advanced practice nursing as an Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner. Nurses already certified as Psych NPs, Women’s Health or Pediatric NPs will be evaluated for possible exclusion of respective specialty courses and practica from their program. The recipients of this certificate will be eligible to take the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or American Association of Critical-Care Nurses Certification Corporation (AACN Certcorp) examination for Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioners. Coursework must be completed within four years and a 3.0 GPA is required.
- A master’s degree in nursing from a nationally accredited nursing program
- Unencumbered North Carolina License as a Registered Nurse
- Official transcripts from a Master’s degree
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0 in MSN degree
- Statement of Purpose in the application packet explaining the applicant’s career goal relation to acute/critical care practice. (Note: Statement of Purpose should not exceed two double-spaced typed pages.)
- References should be from professional colleagues and should speak to clinical knowledge and expertise and one's ability to function as a member of the healthcare team. At least one reference from a supervisory person is preferred.
- Graduate Health Assessment course equivalent within the last 5 years**
- Graduate Pharmacology course equivalent within the last 5 years**
- Graduate Pathophysiology within the last 5 years**
**Nurses certified as Adult or Family, Psych, or Pediatric nurse practitioners may have these courses waived from the admission requirements after assessment of transcripts.
NUNP 6202 Complex Healthcare management of Adults (3)
NUNP 6203 Advanced Care of Critically Ill Adults (3)
NUNP 6250 Advanced Primary Care and Health Promotion of Adults Across the Lifespan (3)
NUNP 6401 Advanced Care and Health Promotion Adults Practicum (2)***
NUNP 6402 Advanced Practice Nursing in Complex Care Practicum (4)***
NUNP 6403 Advanced Care of Critically Ill Adults Practicum (4)***
NUNP 6431 Advanced Acute Care Skills Lab (1)***
Note: Nurses with other backgrounds will be evaluated on an individual basis
***Clinical Course that requires 60 hours practice for each 1 credit hour
Students are admitted for part-time study with entry in Summer. Applications are due to the Graduate School by January 15th. Plan of Study is individualized based on course availability.
Dr. David Langford, PhD, RN