The Graduate Certificate: Nurse Administrator is designed for nurses who hold a bachelor's degree and desire to enhance their administrative skills and advanced practice nurses with master's degrees who seek additional knowledge to be competitive in managing personnel or groups.
The Graduate Certificate: Nurse Administrator program of study consists of four specialty courses in nursing administration (12 graduate credit hours). The certificate can be completed in one year of part-time study and must be completed within four years.
Access to computer within minimum requirements for online courses. Current minimum computer hardware specifications are listed by Distance Education here.
In addition to the general requirements for admission to the Graduate School, the following are required for admission to the Graduate Certificate: Nurse Administrator program:
- Current unrestricted licensure as a Registered Nurse. Current license in North Carolina or a compact state or the state identified by faculty for clinical practice before enrollment. OR Graduation from a post secondary level Nursing Program (United States RN Registration not required).
- Baccalaureate degree from a nationally accredited nursing program.
- An essay (statement of purpose) describing the applicant's experience and objective in undertaking certificate study.
- For the three letters of recommendation required by the Graduate School, references should be from professional colleagues.
Accepting Applications for Spring 2013 term.
All applications are submitted online to the Graduate School using Apply Yourself. Information about the University Catalog, the Apply Yourself application system can be obtained from Graduate Admissions at http://graduateschool.uncc.edu/admissions:
9201 University City Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28223-0001
The current Schedule of Courses is available online at the Registrar's website.
The Nurse Administrator program consists of 12 semester hours. Students will complete four specialty courses. The certificate can be completed in one through part-time study. Courses can be transferred.
Additional Certificate Requirements
- Completion of 12 hours required course work within 4 years
- Courses in the Nurse Administrator specialty are offered every odd year.
- Nurse Administrator courses are only offered online through Distance Education.
- Students must maintain a minimum 3.0 ("B") GPA in their graduate courses, and may not accumulate more than two "C" grades.
- Faculty Advising is required.
NURS 6212 Program Improvement and Evaluation (3hrs)
NURS 6188 Strategic Planning and Decision making in Nursing (3hrs)
Dr. David Langford, PhD, RN
UNC Charlotte Distance Education Office
Information regarding Distance Education is available on the Distance Education website.